Mission Possible! Elevating Susan G. Komen’s Mission During the Pandemic
Susan G. Komen energized its long-running event with mission badges in its Boundless Fundraising® mobile app
Walk and run events are a popular peer-to-peer fundraising activity, and Susan G. Komen’s MORE THAN PINK Walk and Race for the Cure are no exception. In addition to being important fundraisers for the organization, Susan G. Komen also leverages these in-person events as opportunities to educate participants on its mission and breast health awareness.
To deliver this important educational content in a remote environment, Susan G. Komen implemented mission badges through its fundraising app to keep fundraisers engaged and to share important information about its mission.
- Along with most organizations, Susan G. Komen was forced to pivot its annual MORE THAN PINK Walk and Race for the Cure events from in person to virtual due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- To set themselves apart from the abundance of similar endurance events slated for fall 2020, The organization sought a unique way to engage and motivate its participants.
- Being virtual meant Susan G. Komen needed to find a way to demonstrate its mission to fundraisers creatively and in a fun manner.
- Susan G. Komen wanted to deliver important breast health information and motivate participants to fundraise through inspirational and educational mission content.
- The organization implemented badges around its four mission pillars: research, care, community and action. Participants could unlock badges by watching videos and taking quizzes to learn more about Komen’s mission and how their fundraising dollars will help.
- Providing mission badges through the app gave participants another reason to engage with the mobile fundraising app. Every time a participant opened the app to earn a new mission badge, they also could see the progress to their fundraising goal and have access to the full suite of fundraising tools.
- Participants who downloaded the app and used the activity tracker raised 4x more than those who did not use the app.
- Participants who downloaded the app, used the activity tracker, AND earned mission badges raised 5.4x more than those who did not.
- Active fundraisers who used the app in addition to other key fundraising actions raised an additional $392 on average.